Subscribe to The Fly Girl Guide

dELiA*s

Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Fly Girl Guide: Holiday Mixtape



I’m cheesy when it comes to the Holidays. I play Christmas music constantly, I make Gingerbread houses with my niece, plan Secret Santa for my BFFs, I make my friends go ice skating and make anyone with a car drive around the neighborhood looking at houses decorated with Christmas lights.

It’s my parents fault, they spoiled me rotten when it came to Christmas and they used to do the corny stuff right after Thanksgiving. For example, when I was young, we used to go caroling. My mother would gather all the kids in the neighborhood, pass out folders filled with lyrics of songs and we would walk around Baltimore while my father followed us in a van with a huge thermo of hot chocolate in case any of us got too cold. Therefore, you see, they passed down the cheesiness of Christmas so now it is embedded in me.

So, if you’re like me and my family, filled with so much Christmas joy that it annoys people, then check out my Holiday mixtape.

“Santa Baby”
by Eartha Kitt
Can Christmas be sexy? Eartha Kitt does a good job of trying and this song is perfect if you have a boo to cuddle with.

“Happy Holidays To You”
by New Edition
Teenage New Edition’s It’s Christmas (All Over The World) was a short album but my holiday is not complete without hearing it.





“Who Would Imagine A King”
by Whitney Houston
How cute was The Preacher’s Wife? I loved the movie so much that I had to buy the soundtrack. Whitney sounds beautiful.

“Now Behold the Lamb”
by Kirk Franklin & The Family
Jesus is the reason for the season and Tamela Mann (the female lead) magnificently explains just that. This song moves me to tears every time I hear it.







“This Christmas”
by Dru Hill or Trey Songz
It’s a toss up of which version I like better. Dru Hill and Trey Songz both go hard on this old classic.

“Baby,It’s Cold Outside”
by Dean Martin
Dean Martin had charm didn’t he? I mean I don’t know if I would stay just because its cold outside, now if it’s a monsoon than sure, no convincing needed.






“Sleigh Ride”
by TLC
Bringing 90’s funk to Christmas. Rest In Peace Left Eye!

“Let It Snow”
by Boys II Men
How lovely is a White Christmas? Even if it doesn’t snow on Christmas, Boys II Men makes a great song to imagine that the outside is covered in white.





“O Holy Night”
by Destiny’s Child featuring Michelle Williams
Destiny’s Child’s 8 Days of Christmas featured each girl doing solo versions of Christmas classics. Michelle Williams’ voice is wonderful on her take of “O Holy Night.”


“Silver Bells”
by Stevie Wonder
This list showcases my love for oldies but goodies and my Christmas mixtape could not be complete if I didn’t feature my man, Stevie. O, the wonders Christmas and Stevie.






No comments: